A long, long time ago in a city far away… I was a lonely little radio newbie, completely green to the mysterious world of broadcasting.
Every Thursday morning, I would pull myself out of bed, don an appropriately “indie” outfit (I realize now how very stupid I probably looked) and would place, with quivering, excitable fingers, cds by Neutral Milk Hotel, Joanna Newsom, Rilo Kiley, The xx, Girls and Grizzly Bear into the cd player of the dimly lit basement studios at 93.3 CFMU. The response from the Hamilton community was so positive and friendly that I nearly burst with excitement at every call and email (Yes, even the ones from you, creepy stalker guy with the questionably Spanish accent).
As I came into the studio each morning, I would catch the final minutes of the Wednesday overnight show, My Boy The Riot Girl, a fantastic show with a puzzling name. Often, I’d find myself thinking “Hey – these guys are playing my music! I just played this last week!” It felt great to know that these two cool people with a huge listenership were on the same musical wavelength as me.
Although I eventually moved to a different slot, I continued to look to My Boy The Riot Girl as a source of inspiration and guidance on how to put together a great show. Get this – their crisp clear sound is not the result of an expensive, hi-tech soundboard – they record their three hour program from the comfort of their home using a simple USB mic.
My Boy The Riot Girl just completed their 250th show, (yes, that’s right; they’ve been doing this for 9 years) and I’d like to congratulate them on a successful program that’s stood the test of time.
Even though neither have stepped onto the McMaster campus in quite some time, they’ve remained dedicated to putting out quality shows and pulling in funding for the studio. As a person who records solo, I’m envious of the partnership Megan and Mike have shared. They can always rely on each other for musical motivation!
So here’s three cheers to My Boy The Riot Girl for 250 shows and counting! Click to play or download this extra-special show and get a dose of indie nostalgia (you know, before rap and electronic came in and muddied everything).
Be sure to start listening to My Boy The Riot Girl every Wednesday night from 2am-7pm on 93.3 CFMU. Don’t worry – if you’re not a night owl, you can still download their shows for free right from their website!
MP3 – Episode 250 – My Boy The Riot Girl (Right Click to Download)
The Impressive Track List:
1. The Mountain Goats – Oceanographer’s Choice (Tallahassee)
2. Caribou – Melody Day (Andorra)
3. No Joy – Maggie Says I Love You (Ghost Blonde)
4. LCD Soundsystem – North American Scum (Sound Of Silver)
5. Depeche Mode – Never Let Me Down Again (The Singles 86 – 98 )
6. jj – ecstasy (jj n° 2)
7. Jenn Grant – Baby’s Been Away (Honeymoon Punch)
8. The Rural Alberta Advantage – Rush Apart (Hometowns)
9. The Pack A.D. – 8 (Unpersons)
10. Japandroids – Young Hearts Spark Fire (Post-Nothing)
11. Luke Doucet and the White Falcon – The Ballad of Ian Curtis (Steel City Trawler)
12. Joy Division – She’s Lost Control (Permanent)
13. Lykke Li – Complaint Department (Youth Novel)
14. A.C. Newman – Come Crash (The Slow Wonder)
15. Camera Obscura – Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken (Let’s Get Out Of This Country)
16. Miracle Fortress – Next Train (Five Roses)
17. Modest Mouse – 3rd Planet (The Moon And Antarctica)
18. The XX – Crystalised (XX)
19. Sarah Slean – Climbing Up The Walls (Universe)
20. PJ Harvey – This Mess We’re In (Stories from the city, stories from the sea)
21. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart – Contender (The Pains of Being Pure at Heart)
22. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Way Out (Show Your Bones)
23. Parlour Steps – World As Large (Ambiguoso)
24. The Delgados – Coming in from the Cold (Hate)
25. Sarah Harmer – Basement Apt. (You Were Here)
26. Molly Rankin – Way Home (SHE EP)
27. The Fiery Furnaces – don’t dance her down (Gallowsbird’s Bark)
28. Cat Power – Metal Heart (Moon Pix)
29. Sleater-Kinney – One More Hour (Dig Me Out)
30. Broadcast – Michael a Grammar (Tender Buttons)
31. Portishead – All Mine (Portishead)
32. Jill Barber – Chances (Chances)
33. Emiliana Torrini – Nothing Brings Me Down (Fisherman’s Woman)
34. Jose Gonzalez – Heartbeats (Veneer)
35. Neko Case – Hold On, Hold On (Fox Confessor Brings The Flood)
36. Sufjan Stevens – Concerning the UFO Sighting (Illinois)
37. Beth Orton – She Cries Your Name (Trailer Park)
38. Hefner – Good Fruit (We Love The City [Limited Edition])
39. Le Tigre – Mediocrity Rules-6 (From the Desk of…Mr. Lady)
40. Los Campesinos! – Don’t Tell Me to Do the Math(s) (Sticking Fingers Into Sockets – EP)
41. Hooded Fang – Laughing (Hooded Fang – Album)
42. Belle & Sebastian – Waiting For The Moon To Rise (Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant)
43. Aphex Twin – Nannou (Windowlicker)
44. Joanna Newsom – Emily (Ys)